Possible methods of communicating health and safety to employees include, but are not limited to, the following: 1. New Employee Orientation
“Safety Orientation and Training” element; designed for new employees and as a refresher for all employees
2. Health & Safety Management websites
3. Joint Occupational Health and Safety Committees
- YG Health and Safety Management System – Corporate Bank
- Departmental Health and Safety Management System
4. Worksite Tailgates
Department “Joint Health and Safety Committee or Safety Representative” meeting minutes
Short documented informal safety meetings conducted at the worksite level on a periodic and as-needed basis. Tailgates are usually run by supervisors to address the hazards of the specific work tasks of the day, however anyone can run the worksite tailgates.
Goal is to inform employees of specific hazards associated with a task and the safe way to do the job before the work begins. It serves as a reminder to employees of what they may already know.
5. Branch/Unit Staff Meetings:
6. Health and Safety Bulletin Board
Include a 10 minute “Health and Safety” component as an agenda items. Choose topics that affect branch staff.
For example: Each month a portion of the Departmental Health and Safety Management System, such as Safety Committees, Hazard Identification or a Safe Work Practice could be reviewed.
Branch safety talks should be documented and filed.
The Health and Safety bulletin board is a good communication tool. At a minimum it should display:
- Joint Health and Safety Committee members and contact information
- Minutes of the previous Joint Health and Safety Committee minutes
- First Aid Attendant(s) names and contact information
It may also display:
7. Health and Safety Newsletter and/or Safety Bulletins
- Scheduled safety training dates
- Health and Safety Newsletters
- Safety Bulletins
These provide information on specific topics that are applicable to the workplace and can include:
- Safe Job Procedures, Safe Work Practices
- Health and safety topics of interest to the employees
- Health and safety topics that are currently in the local or national news