When an emergency situation arises such as a fire, prolonged power outages, violent incident or bomb threat, you may be asked to evacuate the building. All fire alarms and orders to evacuate must be obeyed, even if the problem is not on YG premises. These procedures apply to all evacuation orders.
Each office has a primary evacuation route, and a secondary one in case of obstructions. Evacuation routes must be posted in every office.
When you hear a fire alarm or are ordered to evacuate:
- Follow any specific instructions given by your Floor Warden or other emergency responders.
- In case of a bomb threat you may be asked to take your briefcase, purse or other personal belongings with you.
- Stay quiet and calm.
- Close all filing cabinets and desk drawers.
- Leave your office, take personal items required in case you are unable to return to your office for the remainder of the day. In extreme weather conditions, wear your outerwear. Do not shut the door. The Floor Wardens will shut the doors after checking each office.
- Staff are responsible for their visitors and clients, and Reception staff are responsible for people in the reception area. Ensure that visitors and clients follow evacuation procedures.
- On-call First Aid Attendant to bring First Aid Kit.
- Alert another staff member if you require assistance to evacuate.
- If you are aware that another staff member or visitor needs help to evacuate, ensure that person receives physical assistance and is evacuated.
- Follow the evacuation route posted in your office or work area that you are in at the time of the alarm or evacuation order.
- Descend on the right hand side of the stairs, single file.
- Merge with other people evacuating.
- Go immediately to the Assembly Area (insert the location of your departmental/crown corporation assembly area) and report to your supervisor.
- If all exits on the top or bottom floor are blocked because of fire and an escape route cannot be safely made with the use of a fire extinguisher, the floor warden will instruct you to muster in the office or offices farthest from the fire, close the door and wait for assistance.
- Do not use the elevator in case of a fire.
- If you are away from your desk, do not return to your office or work station prior to evacuating.
- Do not carry any food or beverages.
- Do not congregate in, or at the bottom of, the stairwell.
- Do not remain in the building. Go immediately to the Assembly Area (insert the location of your departmental/crown corporation assembly area) and report to your supervisor.
- Do not re-enter the building until instructed to do so by the Safety Warden.
If you have questions ask your Floor Warden.
After Hours Alarms
If you hear or activate the fire alarm outside regular working hours, briefly check the building and sign-in board for other people before you evacuate, if it is safe to do so.
Do not re-enter the building until authorized by the Fire Department.