The purpose of this document is to provide guidelines to employees and supervisors for refusal of hazardous work.
An employee can refuse work if they have reason to believe that the use or operation of a machine, device, or thing constitutes an undue hazard to themselves or another person, or a condition exists in the workplace that constitutes an undue hazard.
- Employee must report to their supervisor that they are refusing to work and state why they believe that the situation is unsafe
- Employee, supervisor and a health and safety representative or worker selected by the employee will investigate
- If problem or situation is resolve, the employee returns to work
- If problem or situation is NOT resolved, supervisor will notify Safety Officer at Yukon Workers’ Compensation Health and Safety Board (WCB) of refusal, reassign employee to complete other work and may assign another employee to complete the work after first informing the other employee of the work refusal and reason for it
- Safety Officer investigates and gives a decision